(I finished my lady ghost "over gown" quite some time ago, but never posted a progress on it.)
I used some left-over satin material (shiny side in) from a previous Halloween costume for the bodice and sleeve "cuffs". I even had some left-over trim that I used on the bodice as well. I actually used the patterns my Mom & I picked up for the bridesmaids gowns for my wedding! I had purchased some tulle netting from JoAnn's while they were having a 2 yards for $1 sale, so I wasn't afraid to tear into it. So, after I got the bodice done, and attached the tulle sleeves that were cut out using the pattern, I tore my tulle into several pieces. It felt horrible and strangely wonderful all at the same time!
After I got the tulle shredded and torn the way I liked, I sewed gathering stitches in each piece and I put them onto the bodice at the empire waist line and sewed them in place. After I had them sewn onto the bodice, I placed the "gown" onto my dress form and tore the netting some more to make it look "ghostly" and old.
Here are pictures of my lady ghost over gown. It will be worn over my Padme Amidala [Skywalker] Episode 3 "Aqua Georgette" gown, when I finish it.
To see the original post on this gown visit: Ghostbusters