Thursday, January 21, 2010

Pockets!

I haven't had much time to download pictures, but I thought I'd share this one. I'm working on 3 X-wing flight suits at once. One is a commission, one is for my husband, and one is for me (at long last, I'm finally working on ours!). I'm doing all the "steps" in the process of the three suits all at the same time. I've just completed what I call "prep-work".

Before I can sew the suits together I need to measure, mark, fold under, pin, & press all the edges of the pockets, and also double top-stitch the tops of all the pockets. 5 of the pockets have flaps, so I also need to measure and mark for the Velcro and sew the Velcro in place, then sew the two pieces of the flap together, turn, press, and double top-stitch. One of the pockets called a "comm pad pocket" has a rectangular window that also needs to be top-stitched.

Along with the pockets, I also have some prep-work that needed doing for the collars and sleeve cuffs, which require Velcro as well. So, I had to mark placement, sew on Velcro, and then sew the two pieces of each of those elements as well.

For 3 flight suits, that's 33 pockets, 15 flaps, 6 sleeve cuffs, and 3 collars! NOW I can actually begin to sew the flight suits!


Here are the finished pockets, ready to be sewn to the flight suits (I've marked each person's pieces with a different color safety pin, since they're all custom made to the wearer, I don't want to miss-match pieces!)